Monday, May 11, 2015

Trois Crayon moves past the folie 'e trois

"Candy" 12x12 conte
   I really enjoyed this portrait sitting as I saw so many colors in the face and actually got to use them in the sketch without being too distinctive. Also so many of my 90 minutes worth of model time ends up with floating heads and very incomplete works missing an ear or an eye. This effort feels further realized and well balanced than most of my sketches. Best of all this study and a handful of other 12x12 sketches finished a collective book of mine (30 portraits) which always feels like a sense of accomplishment to finish a book. The only problem is that it is one of those scrapbooks that you can add pages to so...  Since most of my completed sketchbooks allows me the freedom to graduate to a different medium (pencil to charcoal) for the next book, I believe I will stay with the conte for another 25-30 portraits. That way I can see if I can better understand the medium in more than the trois crayon formula I began with... and the color grounds are always a challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment